Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Relaxing day at a Qatar General's House

Wow what a day for me and several other people who work along side of me. We all had a very enjoyable day at one of the homes of a General here. It was a beautiful home from what we could see. We were outside enjoying his patio, beach, riding jetskis, salt water fishing, eating all the food we ever wanted, smoked hookas, camel rides, and of course my favorite the falcons.
I wanted to share with you a little of what I did. I just relaxed with some of my friends and enjoyed the nice weather here. We couldn't eat all the food that was provided for us. A big delicacy in the Middle East was served to us as well. Are you ready?.... baby camel hump (see picture)! It wasn't bad, but can't say that I would run to the table to have it again. A lot of people wouldn't even try it.


Smoking hookas is what a lot of people did throughout the day. It is a very big thing here but I can't say that I tried it (see pic). Hooka smoking is a Middle Eastern water pipe, commonly used to smoke Shisha, which is a type of flavored tobacco. Filtering it through vase filled with liquid often cools the smoke. I will say the smoke smells A LOT better than cigarettes.


Of course I saved my best for last! the FALCONS!!! The word falconry brings back images of times times long gone, times when people had patience, when they would, over many hours and weeks, calm and train a magestic wild creature. While falconry continues in much of the world, it remains very much a sport. Except in one area - the Middle East. Falconry is alive and will in Qatar! You can even go down to the old shopping part of town and buy/see Falcons every day. Falcons are seen especially during the high hunting season - March. (see pics)

I enjoyed learning about the things and seeing more of the true culture here in Qatar.
I would do it AGAIN!









No comments:

Post a Comment