Monday, December 14, 2009

Likes vs. Differences




So do you see anything different about the stuff I have pictured above? What I have pictured is what I see in Qatar every day compared to the United States. The firs picture is they light switches here. You can find some like this in the United States but the odd thing with these are...to burn them on you push the button down and to turn the light on you push the button up. This is exact opposite in most cases than in the United States. This really bugs me sometimes! LOL
The 2nd picture is the plug ins. They are really really large here. None of our stuff with American plugs can plug into these odd shaped plugs. We have to buy a converter that we can plug our stuff into. We have to be careful with what we do plug into these as it is a different whole voltage of electricity here. I can say I made the mistake of plugging my hairdrying into the plug with an adaptor and it smoked, smelled terrible, and won't work anymore. I guess I won't do that again. I have found it is easier for me to just by the things that are made to plug into these huge plugins.
The last pictures is of a Diet Coke Can. Do you see how we have to open our cans here? The whole tab comes off. WOW!! It still is weird to me. I don't think I will get used to that at all. I will get you some pictures of the can in the future. You would see English on one side and Arabic on the other.
Speaking on Arabic here is something that is different about it....other than it looks like a bunch of writting a 1-2 year old would do in the states. They write right to left! Yes you hear me ... you see everything is backwards here!
Then on a final note!!! The difference I LOVE the best here! We have a movie theater on Post here and before every movie they play the National Anthem. YES WE DO!! I LOVE IT!! Everyone in the whole theater stands up, takes off their hats, places their hands on their heart and doesn't say a word. After it is through we all tend to scream..."GOD BLESS THE USA!" I can say I am proud everytime I hear the National Anthem and have to kinda laugh because I don't see this EVER happening in a Theater in the United States. I don't think people would do the right thing when it is played. Much less I see too many people not respect our flag as it is! If you don't remember this is one of my Pet Peeves! The FLAG is flown to REMEMBER! Don't ever forget it! I know I won't!!
I want you all to know I miss each and everyone of you and still am in amazement with all that everyone at home has done for me. Jefferson look for a package from me after the holidays! You have made me proud with all our support, friendship, and letters!
- SFC Doris A. Carter







2 comments:

  1. Ah, Dee... You make me give away my age. When I was growing up, all the cans had pull tabs like that on them. If you accidentally broke the tab off without actually opening the can (and it was very easy to do) you were in trouble. And heaven forbid anyone drop their tab on the ground and find it later while running around barefoot! Ouchies! Hurts to think about! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year, Dee! Thank you for your sacrificial service for our fabulous America. We are so blessed. Unfortunately, we are also so spoiled rotten than we stink from the inside out sometimes.

    Thanks for putting up with cultural differences and inconveniences while you are overseas. I pray that you will be able to laugh about them and that you won't be too homesick for familiar surroundings. Soak up the experience, and know that we are thinking of you at home.

    ReplyDelete